Friday, September 12, 2008

Celebration


Giving Charlene Brown, host of WOSU's Artzine,
some tips during an
interview with Press about
arts and the economy (to air
in October).

Whew. It's been a whirlwind of a week here at Opera Columbus. Not only did we celebrate Press' birthday but everyone is crazy busy getting ready for our upcoming production of Bizet's The Pearl Fishers (have you bought your tickets yet? Get on it by calling 614-469-0939). In honor of his birthday, I spent some time with Press this week (I even had to help him prep for a TV interview). We chatted and here's some fun stuff you should know about the wonderful guy that leads our company:

OPERA
First Opera: Mozart's The Magic Flute, an Opera Columbus production in the early 90s.
How you got involved with OC: A partner at my office and an OC board member at the time, Sheldon Chizever, invited me to attend a performance. His hope was I would get involved with the Board (which I did).
If someone said, "Ug, opera isn't for me," how would you respond: Have you tried it? It's not an elitist artform. It was originally created for the common class. This beautiful artform combines music, symphony, sets, acting, etc. It's colorful and full of pageantry!
What's your take on cows and opera: Well, if a cow wants to be excited about opera she should probably check out a production of Carmen. There are usually some fine looking bulls appearing with the toreador.

FAVORITES
TV shows: Days of Our Lives, Law & Order and LOST.
Books: The Green Mile and anything by James Patterson.
Music: If by Dean Martin and anything by Enya, The Beatles and Queen.
Ice Cream: Dolce de Leche.

COLUMBUS
Favorite restaurant: The Top on East Main.
Hidden gem:
Tommy's Diner on East Broad.
Proof that this isn't a cowtown: We have amazing arts and culture here in the city and it's accessible to everyone. In other cities people can't be involved with multiple arts and cultural organizations due to cost or distance - here it's affordable and easy to get to and attend/participate.

FUN STUFF
When you were little, what did you want to be when you grew up:
A baseball player.
What would people be surprised to know about you: I'm a huge OSU Buckeyes fan, but I guess that's not a surprise. How about the fact that I have eight different season subscriptions to various sporting events and eight different memberships/season subscriptions to arts/cultural organizations. I love sports and the arts - I do it all!
If you were stranded on a desert island what three things would you want to have with you: All I would need is Joan, my wife of 40 years.

No comments: